Join the Marrow Registry on 9/15 and You May Save a Life!

In recognition of World (Bone) Marrow Donor Day, Columbia University is hosting a donor drive on Friday, September 15 at its Morningside and Medical Center campuses. With just a simple cotton swab of your cheek, you can join the registry and take the first step toward potentially saving a life!

World (Bone) Marrow Donor Day is observed every September to raise awareness about being a stem cell donor, and to celebrate the impact of blood stem cell transplantation on patients’ lives. Here at Columbia, this worldwide celebration will be observed on Friday, September 15, across both our Morningside and Medical Center campuses.

Every year, there are more than 20,000 new cases of leukemia, lymphoma, and other life-threatening diseases that are only treatable with a bone marrow transplant. Currently, only 30% of the patients who need a transplant find a match among their family members; the other 70% must find a match within their own community. For many children and adults in need of a transplant, expanding the global registry of donors is critical to increasing their chances of finding a match. As one of the world’s leading institutions of medical research, Columbia University stands at the forefront in not only helping to ensure an expansion of the worldwide registry, but also in continuing work on possible cures for blood cancer.

Anyone in general good health, between the ages of 18 – 44 can join the Registry. Joining is as simple as filling out a form and brushing the inside of your cheek with a cotton swab. Your bone marrow type then remains in a central data bank. Because of our prior efforts, many Columbians are now being prescreened as potential matches for patients on the waitlist. And in 2010, Public Safety Officer Anthony Tavarez was a match with a three-year-old who had a rare blood disorder.

Registering is easy! Simply walk in to any of the following campus locations, and sign up!

Friday, September 15
11:00am – 5:00pm
………

Broadway Room
Lerner Hall, 2nd Floor
Alfred Lerner Hall, Morningside Campus
2920 Broadway

Milstein Lobby, 1st Floor
177 Fort Washington Avenue
Columbia University Medical Center

Be involved! Be someone’s cure! Join the marrow registry!

This event is coordinated through the Office of Government and Community Affairs, in collaboration with the Icla da Silva Foundation, GCA-CUMC, Columbia University Facilities and Operations, Columbia University’s Be-the-Match Chapter, and STRIVE.