Public Safety Tips for Protecting Your Bike
There has been several reported bike thefts in the Columbia University Community. In each incident the owner used a cable type lock to secure their bike. Thieves often target bikes that are secured with cables because they can easily be cut & the bike removed.
We strongly recommend using a U-shape type lock that you can secure your frame & tire to a bolted down bike rack. Bike rack locations: http://www.columbia.edu/cu/publicsafety/bikemap.pdf
On September 23, 2009, CU Public Safety prevented a bike theft in the area of Amsterdam Ave & W117 Street (Amsterdam Ave overpass). Both males were apprehended and in their possession were lock cutters used to cut cable type locks.
CU Public Safety sells the following Kryptonite U-Locks at discounted prices:
- Kryptonite Kryptolok series 2 long shackle U-Lock for $20 comes with a FREE Bike Lock mount.
- Kryptonite NY U-Lock with FREE bike lock mount for $45. Comes with a $3000 theft insurance.
- Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit 3.25 ft Chain for $70. Comes with a $3500 anti theft insurance.
Locks can be purchased at the following locations:
- Medical Center Campus room 109 Black Bldg. 650 W168 St. 24 hrs.
- Morningside Campus room 111 Low Library Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.
Pick up a bike FREE NYC bike map while you are at it.
We also offer FREE bike registration with the NYPD & CU by appointment. A unique number is engraved on the bike and a non-removable Police sticker is put on the bike. For more information please call crime prevention at 212-854-8513.
Thank you for your continued help!Ricardo Morales Columbia University Department of Public Safety Manager Crime Prevention Programs Crime Prevention Specialist 212-854-8513 www.columbia.edu/cu/publicsafety