End of Summer Campus Construction Update - September 8, 2006
End of Summer Campus Construction Update
Back in May, we wrote to you outlining our construction activity plans for the summer in preparation for a safe, beautiful and functional campus environment. As we enter the fall semester, Columbia University Facilities is pleased to announce that we have successfully completed the following summer 2006 projects, which includes an estimated $25 million worth of renovations and improvements for existing buildings both on and off campus:
- URIS HALL lobby was elegantly renovated featuring glass, stainless steel and a new information kiosk
- HAMILTON HALL 500-700 level classrooms and offices received new lighting, floors and finishes
- NEW LABORATORY SPACE has been created to support: -The Chemistry Department in Chandler Hall 600 level and Havemeyer Hall 500 level -The Psychology Department and the Department of Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Biology (E3B) in Schermerhorn Extension -The Earth and Environmental Engineering Department in Mudd Hall
- MAIN GATE ENTRANCE at 116th and Broadway received new herringbone-patterned brick pavers
- FAÇADE REPAIRS AND RESTORATION work was completed on International Affairs and several off-campus residential buildings
- RENOVATIONS AND UPGRADES to numerous academic and administrative spaces campus-wide
As a reminder, there are several projects planned to continue into the fall semester:
- BUTLER LIBRARY: Renovation of the University's flagship library's 700, 800 and 900 levels, façade repairs and roof replacement. As planned, the scaffolding around the perimeter of the library will remain until spring 2007 and the sidewalk bridge on 114th Street will remain through fall 2007.
- KENT HALL PLAZA: Repair of drainage, waterproofing and paving systems. This project is scheduled to be completed this fall.
- GREENE HALL: Façade repairs are scheduled to be completed this fall.
Columbia University Facilities appreciates your patience and cooperation as we work together to sustain the advances and growth of being one of the world's leading universities. Should you have any questions or comments related to construction activity, please call our Construction Helpline at 212-854-2595, or feel free to contact me directly at 212-854-7246. You can also visit our Construction Project web page at http://www.neighbors.columbia.edu/pages/construction for updates. We remain committed to providing you with the highest level of quality and service for your facilities needs.
Interim Associate Vice President, Capital Project Management