HURRICANE IRENE ADVISORY 8-26-11
Hurricane Irene is projected to impact the Greater New York area on Sunday, August 28. Please take some time before you leave work for the weekend to help secure your work space in order to help preserve buildings, data, and laboratory equipment.
Please make sure the following steps are taken before Saturday:
- Make sure all windows are closed securely. This single step may be the most important way that you can protect your work areas -- and those of others -- from potentially damaging high winds and heavy rain.
- Please turn off computers, lights and other equipment when leaving Friday. Additionally, electrical or valuable items should be moved off the floor and away from windows.
- Please discuss contingency plans with your supervisor in case there are interruptions to transportation or other conditions on Monday that may impact your ability to keep to your normal work schedule.
The safety of our students and campus community is paramount. The University has recommended that events scheduled for Sunday, August 28 be cancelled or rescheduled.
Undergraduate Move-In events, for Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science, have been cancelled for Sunday, August 28 and rescheduled for Monday, August 29 from 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. To further accommodate students and families who have experienced travel disruptions and will arrive to campus on Tuesday, August 30, we will extend check-in hours from 8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. For more information on these changes, visit: http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/orientation/preparing
For those faculty and staff who may be on campus Sunday, please note that Columbia University Facilities will be available to assist you with campus and building services. To contact the Facilities Services Center, call (212) 854-2222. The Hartley Hospitality Desk will also be open on Sunday; (212) 854-2779.
To report an emergency on campus, please call Public Safety at (212) 854-5555. For medical or off-campus emergencies, please call 911.
At this time, the University anticipates resuming a regular schedule on Monday. For more information on hurricane preparedness for yourself and your family, please visit:
- The New York City Severe Weather website: http://www.nyc.gov/html/oem/html/nycsevereweather/weather_home.shtml
- The New York State Hurricane Preparedness website:
- The National Weather Service Hurricane Preparedness website:
We will continue to update the Columbia homepage, http://www.columbia.edu/. The Columbia University Medical Center homepage, http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/, will also be updated. Alternatively, you may call 212-854-1754 for the Morningside campus or 212-305-7300 for the Medical Center.
Executive Vice President
Columbia University Facilities