Careers at Columbia University Facilities and Operations
Make things work at one of the world's leading institutions of higher education
WHO WE ARE
Columbia University Facilities and Operations supports the core educational and research mission of the University by maintaining a safe, beautiful and functional campus environment and providing services and spaces for campus life and activity outside the classroom.
Facilities and Operations provides oversight of building design and construction, operations and maintenance of buildings and grounds, campus public safety, residential and retail dining, management of the University residential portfolio, student health services, event catering and venue management, and sustainability engagement and initiatives.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
As a valued partner of the Columbia community, we strive to:
- provide high value and quality;
- seek ways to continuously improve our operations;
- grow with the changing needs of the community;
- collaborate with our University colleagues;
- deliver exceptional customer service; and
- are respected stewards of Columbia's physical assets.
- Pride: in the University, in Facilities and Operations, in each other
- Respect, Integrity, Accountability: with each other and in what we do
- Communication: a top priority-deep, broad, transparent, and continuous
- Community: making the University and our community a better place to learn, live, and work
- Excellence: in all we do; anything we touch, we improve; continuously
- Experience: exceed our customers' expectations in both service and value
With experts in urban planning, architecture, engineering, operations, energy and environment, real estate, public safety, health, dining services, transportation, and more, Facilities and Operations boasts some of the best professionals in their respective fields. When you work with us, you are part of a team of award-winning industry leaders who are committed to the highest standards of quality and performance.
LIFE AT FACILITIES
We take great pride in creating a campus environment where our faculty, students and colleagues can thrive. Learn more about our organization and our amazing employees in our Annual Report or our Quarterly Newsletter.
FUN FACTS ABOUT WORKING AT FACILITIES AND OPERATIONS
- We serve over 2.5 million meals each year
- We manage over 14,000 student events each year
- We serve over 35,000 cups of coffee each year
- We collected approximately 12 tons of cardboard, 16 tons of bulk waste, 6 tons of metal and 60 cubic yard containers of toner cartridges through our award-winning Clean + Go Green program
- We saved $700,000 and had a 3.5 million kilowatt-hour reduction in energy usage as a result of our chiller optimization program
- We have reduced greenhouse emissions by 23.2% Since FY2006
- Our Go Ask Alice website has over 49 million online visitors each year
- We manage more than 6,300 residential apartments and 3,900 undergraduate rooms that provide housing for more than 12,000 affiliates
- We completed $284 million in construction and renovation projects in FY 2013
If you are interested in joining our team, please view our open positions listed below.
Click here for a list of pre-qualification certificates for upcoming Manhattanville Operations positions.
For other employment opportunities at Columbia University, including temporary opportunities, please visit the Columbia University Employment Information Center Web site.
If you are interested in employment with construction firms currently working at Columbia, please contact:
Senior Manager, Workforce Strategies & Initiatives
McKissack & McKissack
Harlem Office of Community Employment
64-65 West 125th Street, 3rd Floor
New York, NY 10027